Opto 22 has released PAC Project™ 9.2, an upgrade to its PAC Project suite of software applications and utilities that provide control programming, HMI development, OPC connectivity, and database integration. PAC Project is part of Opto 22’s SNAP PAC System™, an integrated system of hardware and software for industrial control, energy management, remote monitoring, and data acquisition applications.
A key addition in this PAC Project upgrade is support for several recently released SNAP I/O modules. These modules include:
• SNAP-SCM-CAN2B module high-speed serial communications module-receives data from generators, motors, and other devices connected on a Controller Area Network (CAN)
• SNAP-IDC-32D module high-density digital input module-senses proximity switches, limit switches, push buttons, and other low-voltage sources
• SNAP-OMR6-A module and SNAP-OMR6-C mechanical relay output modules-switch up to 250 VAC or 30 VDC 6-amp loads per channel and provide a compact, cost-effective way to switch higher voltages and currents without needing breakout boards, header cables, or other interposing hardware.
PAC Control, PAC Project’s flowchart-based programming application, adds the customer-requested capability of sending email directly from a PAC controller, with or without attachments, which opens new options for delivering alerts and status information to personnel. Other additions in PAC Control include new commands for using the HTTP protocol to exchange data with web servers, synchronizing the controller’s clock with an external Network Time Protocol (NTP) server, as well as commands to manipulate floating-point values, parse or create binary data when communicating with other devices, and atomically copy a bit from one variable or table element to another.
PAC Display, PAC Project’s HMI development and runtime application, adds useful enhancements for displaying custom dynamic attributes on Windows-style buttons and working with grouped graphics when using the AutoCorrect Tags function. Also new in PAC Display is the ability to select a single PC to use as a time source, which is useful when several PCs are running the same PAC Display project.
PAC Project 9.2 also supports Opto 22’s new G4EB2 brain, which allows automation professionals to integrate an existing, legacy G4 digital I/O system with a SNAP PAC System over an Ethernet network without incurring the cost and downtime needed to change existing I/O or field wiring. The Ethernet-based G4EB2 directly replaces a 32-channel brain in a legacy mistic serial or Pamux system.
Pricing and Availability
PAC Project 9.2 Basic is free for download or with purchase of any SNAP PAC controller. It includes control programming and configuration software, an HMI development application, and an EtherNet/IP communication tool. PAC Project 9.2 Professional is available at a list price of $999 USD and adds an OPC server, an application for exchanging data with enterprise databases, and functionality for upgrading from Opto 22 legacy hardware. PAC Project Professional is required for controller redundancy.
The individual PAC Project Professional software components-PAC Control Professional, PAC Display Professional, OptoOPCServer, and OptoDataLink-are also available separately at a list price of $399 USD each. All PAC Project components, both Basic and Professional, come with free training and free product support.
The complete list of PAC Project components:
• PAC Control™-an intuitive flowchart and scripting control programming software application for developing control strategies that run on SNAP PAC controllers. Ideal for sequential control, batch and process control, PID loop control, and more. Using the built-in scripting language OptoScript(tm) adds support for complex math, conditional branching, string handling, and subroutines.
• PAC Display™-a human-machine interface (HMI) development application used to create graphical interfaces that mimic a process. Support for alarm management, recipe handling, operator logging, real-time and historical trending, multimedia, and unlimited tags puts PAC Display on par with competing HMI development applications costing thousands of dollars more per seat.
• PAC Manager™-a configuration and maintenance tool used to set up and inspect controllers and I/O data in real time.
• EtherNet/IP Configurator-a configuration tool for establishing communication between an Allen-Bradley PLC system and intelligent remote SNAP I/O.
• OptoOPCServer™ (included with PAC Project Professional or available separately)-an OPC 2.0-compliant server used to consolidate and publish SNAP PAC System data to OPC-aware clients, including third-party HMIs such as Wonderware’s InTouch, Intellution’s iFix, and Iconic’s Genesis.
• OptoDataLink™ (included with PAC Project Professional or available separately)-connectivity software used to enable bidirectional data transfer between the SNAP PAC System and enterprise databases-such as Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Access, and MySQL-without brokering the data through an HMI.