Minneapolis, MN — Banner Engineering introduces the WORLD-BEAM® QS18 Adjustable-Field Foreground Suppression Sensors, designed to reliably detect objects regardless of color, reflectivity, surface irregularities or background conditions. The sensor’s universal mounting design makes installation quick and easy, while a simple screwdriver adjustment allows for precise setup of sensing range. With a compact and IP67-rated sealed housing, the QS18 adjustable-field sensors deliver an exceptional sensing solution for small or difficult-to-reach areas.
The QS18 Adjustable-Field Foreground Suppression Sensors operate in diffuse mode, detecting light returned by the background, but ignoring light returned by the object. The concept is similar to that of a polarized retroreflective sensor; if the sensor cannot see the background (reflector), the output switches on—indicating that the target object is present.
“These photoelectric sensors are an ideal solution for material handling or packaging applications where irregularly sized/positioned or shiny objects are present against a fixed background,” said Mike Turner, Material Handling Business Development Manager at Banner Engineering.
These compact sensors are available in two adjustable cutoff ranges: 15-40 mm and 30-200 mm. The short-range models are ideal for detecting thinner objects that are closer to the background.
The QS18 Foreground Suppression Sensors are particularly useful if the following application conditions are present:
- Target object is reflective
- Reflective background
- Detecting dark objects on light backgrounds
- Sensors are aimed toward factory lights
The following features make the QS18 Foreground Suppression Sensors advantageous in challenging material handling and packaging applications:
- Adjustable range: short-range models offer 15 to 40 mm sensing range; long-range models offer up to 200 mm sensing range
- Reliable detection when a fixed background is present and the object color or shape varies
- Objects detected to the face of the sensor (no dead zone)
- Simple multi-turn screw adjustment of cutoff distance
- Crosstalk immunity algorithm allows two sensors to be used in close proximity
- Visible red emitter for simple sensor alignment
Filed Under: Packaging, Sensors (position + other), Test + measurement • test equipment