Both Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation and Joy Mining Machinery are implementing Right Hemisphere 5 Deep Server™ software. This program automates, unifies, and secures enterprise-wide media communication. It helps improve the quality and speed of decision-making among designers, managers, suppliers, and customers.
Its media asset management component can merge and manage product information from disparate enterprise systems, including product data management (PDM), enterprise resource planning (ERP) and customer relationship management (CRM) systems. By doing so, it supports a Model Based Definition (MBD) engineering communications strategy. The latest version of Deep Server also includes new and enhanced metadata search and management capabilities.
Deep Server manages and combines data from multiple graphic and non-graphic sources for use in communication, collaboration, and decision-making. Because it has a single data structure for publishing and management, it saves time, and reduces errors.
Among the first group of manufacturers to implement it is Joy Mining Machinery, a leading provider of mining equipment and services. “We need to produce our technical publications faster while simultaneously bumping up the quality of these publications,” said Dan Armour, manager of technical services at Joy. “Deep Server accelerates our content creation process by automatically reusing existing CAD data. It makes it faster and easier to increase the amount of 3D and interactive content in our maintenance training classes. Plus, we can reasonably expect these documents to be more effective at transferring knowledge to our service personnel and to our customers.” Deep Server can publish product graphics and other data, such as product manufacturing information, into a secure 3D Adobe PDF file.
This program is also helping Sikorsky Aircraft accelerate several product development and launch processes. It will automate the creation of lightweight 3D product graphics for key functional teams and suppliers to reference and leverage in their own work, saving Sikorsky critical development time and expense for the CH-53K helicopter program.
In addition to supporting more effective cross-functional team meetings, the software will make Sikorsky’s visual product information — originally created by engineers using CATIA® software — accessible to non-engineers and subcontractors in more commonly used formats such as Adobe® PDF® and Microsoft® PowerPoint®. The software’s automatic translation and publishing features should speed up the company’s current processes for building documentation such as customer briefing presentations, RFQs, and shop floor assembly instruction sheets.
Right Hemisphere’s software also directly supports Sikorsky’s Model Based Definition (MBD) initiative, which is aimed at eliminating the need for conventional 2D drawings to communicate design intent.
New Features in 5 Deep Server
The program integrates with and extends PLM and PDM for the re-use of product information across a corporate enterprise. It supports more than130 2D and 3D formats, including HTML, Adobe® PDF® and Microsoft® Office.
• The ability to merge and edit product metadata from CAD, PDM, and PLM sources into one database for publishing and management.
• New and enhanced view and markup graphics functions, such as XYZ markup filtering for collaboration; cross-section cutting plane, half and quarter sections; thumbnails of 3D models viewable within Microsoft Explorer; and the ability to calculate model surface areas and volumes.
• Global instancing support to reduce the size of databases required and allow for easy updating of parts information across different projects and departments.
• Updated product manufacturing information (PMI) support for CATIA® and JT formats for the inclusion of PMI, geometric dimensioning and tolerance (GD&T) data, as well as associated views directly into 3D files that eliminate the need for separate 2D drawings.
• Updated and improved PDF file publishing capabilities for easier use of PDF and HTML as publishing formats.
• New capabilities for line art illustrations, including a 2D and 3D symbol library; 2D line styles in 3D viewer, 2D vector and raster illustration output; easy thrust line creation with animation; illustration support with thick and thin rendering, and color fill; a 2D alpha tool for creation, removal and manipulation of alpha channels in texture maps; and added drawing tools to improve technical illustration workflows.
• New file format support for Microsoft 3D XAML, Google SketchUp, Autodesk FiLMBOX, Collada DAE, Silo 3D and WebCGM.
• Part level revision management to control updates of all downstream usage at a part level and to update assemblies automatically.
• LDAP support for integration with existing system security protocols as well as object level security for the correct level of access control at any level of a project.
: Design World :
Filed Under: Software
Tell Us What You Think!