Mentor Graphics Corp. now has an embedded computational fluid dynamics (CFD) solution for Solid Edge, the computer-aided design (CAD) program from Siemens PLM.
As a front-loading CFD solution, FloEFD enables users to move CFD simulation early into the design process where it can help engineers examine trends and dismiss less desirable design options. Fast to learn and easy to use, FloEFD eliminates the workflow complexity and meshing overheads of old-school CFD software, said Roland Feldhinkel, general manager of Mentor Graphics Mechanical Analysis Division.
Solid Edge customers can use the FloEFD product to simulate fluid flow during the design process. It reduces overall time to find a design solution by 65-to 75-percent, as compared to other CFD tools, he added.
The CFD tool takes geometry directly from the CAD application, automatically performs the necessary translations and cavity modeling, and generates an optimized mesh before carrying out analysis. This approach offers quick and accurate analysis results and allows designers to validate their designs early and often, said Dan Staples, vice president of Solid Edge product development at Siemens PLM Software.
It also allows the designer to explore a succession of ideas without risking project deadlines.
Engineers can operate within their preferred and familiar mechanical CAD interface thus reducing design cycle times by order of magnitude compared to traditional methods and tools, while increasing design quality, Staples added.
“FloEFD for Solid Edge is a leap forward for our customers who need to do flow analysis on their engineering projects,” he said. “This tool allows engineers to quickly run various ‘what if’ scenarios and optimize their design directly inside of the Solid Edge window.”
Other features include:
- Robust 3D fluid flow and heat transfer analysis software capable of solving complex real-life engineering problems.
- Allows users to conduct multiple design studies and evaluate how the modifications influence the design performance immediately.
- An intuitive user interface with built-in intelligent automation including real-time feedback and timely outputs that can be generated quickly in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Parametric study enables user to compare a wide range of project variations.
- Fast, automated SmartCell meshing technology to create realistic simulations for complex 3D models including rotating equipment and transient flow behaviors and speeding the overall design process.
FloEFD for Solid Edge is now available for shipment. For additional information about FloEFD for Solid Edge, please go to: https://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/floefd/floefd-solid-edge/
Filed Under: 3D CAD World