Meller Optics, Inc. recently introduced custom-fabricated sapphire windows that are ideal for gimbaled systems which might be exposed to fast-moving dirt, sand, salt water, and other particulates.
- Moh 9 hardness, second only to diamond in hardness and can withstand pressures to 10,000 psi, depending upon thickness
- Available in sizes from 0.25” to 10.00” diameter, with varying wall thicknesses, and can include stepped edges and elliptical edge shaping, holes, slots, and wedges for mounting
- Flatness held to 1/10th wave in the visible and < 2 arc sec. in/in parallelism
- Surface finishes from 60-40 to 40-20 scratch-dig, depending upon configuration
- Other materials offered include germanium and zinc selenide for applications from the mid to far IR
Filed Under: Materials • advanced