High speed backplane connectors designed to support future system upgrades and provide long-term reliability are in constant demand. Molex Incorporated recently developed the Impact™ backplane connector system designed to meet the next generation requirements of telecommunications and data networking equipment. Tyco Electronics is the second source supplier for the Impact product line, and the two companies will leverage their global manufacturing footprints to offer intermateable, interchangeable, interoperable backplane connector solutions.
“We designed Impact to push the speed and density envelope of backplane interconnects in order to meet the growing demands of next generation telecommunication and data networking equipment,” said Brian Hauge, new product development manager, Molex Incorporated. “The Impact system properly balances the speed, density, cost and long-term reliability requirements of our customers' current and future systems needs.”
Molex's Impact product provides up to 80 differential pairs per linear inch in less than 29mm total width, making it the fastest, densest backplane connector on the market today.
At over 20 Gbps data rates, Impact provides significant channel performance headroom for future system upgradeability in both traditional backplane and midplane architectures.
Moreover, the Impact system offers two compliant pin design options so customers can balance their electrical and mechanical application needs.
Hauge added, “Molex's strategic relationship with Tyco provides designers with the confidence that they are utilizing high performance, high quality backplane products backed by the leading interconnect solutions providers in the industry. We've combined the two largest suppliers in the connector industry with the broadest product offerings and the highest commitment to reinvestment in R&D, and are committed to providing our customers with drop-in compatible backplane interconnect solutions.”
The Impact backplane connector system's additional features and benefits include:
* A broad-edge coupled, hybrid shielding design, providing low cross-talk, insertion loss and minimal performance variation across all high speed channels;
* A simple 1.90mm x 1.35mm grid on both backplane and daughtercard, reducing PCB routing complexity and supplying adequate spacing for high speed routing;
* A daughtercard mating interface providing inline staggered, bifurcated contacts with two points of contact for long-term reliability and built-in ground-signal sequencing;
* Two compliant pin options which properly balance the mechanical and electrical performance of the system; and
* IEEE 10G BASE-KR and OIF State Eye Channel compliance.
Impact is available now in 3-, 4-, 5- and 6-pair versions, with a complete range of guidance and power-solution options. For more information, visit: http://www.molex.com/link/Impact.html
:: Design World ::
Filed Under: Computer boards, Connectors (electrical) • crimp technologies, Electronics • electrical