East Aurora, N.Y. — Moog Inc. (NYSE: MOG.A and MOG.B ) has acquired 70 percent of the stock of Insensys Ltd. for US $15.7 million in cash. As part of the transaction, Moog has an option to purchase the remaining 30 percent within one year. Insensys is a leading supplier of pitch control and rotor blade monitoring systems for wind turbines.
Pitch control systems adjust the inclination angle of the blades, thus controlling the loads and efficiency of the turbine. With this acquisition, Moog will have additional functionality in pitch control to improve the efficiency and increase the lifetime of the turbine.
The individual pitch control solution from Insensys allows the operator to reduce the load on each blade, which optimizes efficiency, improves reliability and saves material and construction costs. By precisely monitoring loads, the rotor monitoring system improves the turbineâ€šÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s life span as well as safety and maintenance costs.
Predictive maintenance is vital to wind park operators because the cost of a shutdown and subsequent turbine repairs are high. The necessity for predictive maintenance is only surpassed by the need to protect the multi-million dollar wind turbine from catastrophic failure. Insensys can do both with its rotor blade monitoring technology. With over 1,000 systems and 20,000 sensors delivered to leading global and regional wind turbine manufacturers, Insensysâ€šÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ proven solutions for ice detection, lighting strike, rotary imbalance and damage detection prevent costly shutdowns, ensure safety and lower maintenance costs.
Filed Under: Green engineering, Motion control • motor controls