PEM® Type SL™ self-clinching steel locknuts from PennEngineering® integrate a unique TRI-DENT® locking feature to hold mating screws tight over time by providing sufficient torsional resistance to withstand vibration, thermal cycling, and other disruptive forces that could loosen the screws in service. These prevailing torque locknuts, which meet three-cycle locking performance to effectively “self-lock” the threads of mating screws, further will allow for the screws to be removed and re-attached repeatedly as needed without compromising the locking threads.
- Available in thread sizes #4-40 through 3/8-16 and M3 through M10
- Recommended for use in aluminum or steel sheets as thin as .040” / 1mm with maximum hardness HRB 80 (Rockwell “B” scale) and HB 150 (Hardness Brinell)
- Locknuts install permanently in host metal sheets to become integral parts of an assembly, will not loosen or fall out, never have to be restrained from rotation with a tool, and never have to be handled again
- Quick installation is accomplished by placing the locknut in a properly sized mounting hole and applying sufficient squeezing force using a standard press to embed the fastener’s clinching ring completely in the metal sheet
- All clinching is performed on the fastener side of the sheet, allowing the reverse side to remain flush and smooth without protrusions
Filed Under: Materials • advanced