The drama swirling around the FCC’s planned vote on its set-top proposal ended with a statement on Thursday that the order was removed from the agenda. The so-called “Unlock the Box” would require TV providers to make their programming available through third-party devices instead of just cable boxes.
“We are still working to resolve the remaining technical and legal issues and we are committed to unlocking the set-top box for consumers across this country,” reads a statement attributed to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler and Commissioners Mignon Clyburn and Jessica Rosenworcel.
The proposal was revised earlier this month by FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler, which is reviewed in a fact sheet available here. Also earlier this month, Commissioner Rosenworcel — who is considered a key vote in this situation — indicated at a Senate hearing that she “had problems” with the plan, which sent murmurs and rumblings throughout the telecommunications world.
“It’s time for consumers to say goodbye to costly set-top boxes. It’s time for more ways to watch and more lower-cost options,” Thursday’s FCC statement says. “That’s why we have been working to update our policies under Section 629 of the Communications Act in order to foster a competitive market for these devices. We have made tremendous progress and we share the goal of creating a more innovative and inexpensive market for these consumer devices.”
The FCC statement also says the proposal will go on the circulation list and remain under consideration by commissioners.
Filed Under: Industry regulations