The TMC6200 high-voltage gate-driver integrates in-line current sensing and other features needed to implement complete FOC motor control solutions for BLDC and PMSM servo motors drawing up to 100A.
TRINAMIC Motion Control GmbH & Co. KG now sells a new high-power gate driver for PMSM servo or BLDC motors. The chip enables powerful, flexible designs with high current profiles that can be tuned to perfectly match the motors in nearly any application.
Featuring integrated in-line current sense amplifiers with programmable amplification, the TMC6200 requires only six external MOSFETs and two or three sense resistors to implement the complete high-voltage section of a Field Oriented Control (FOC) drive system for 12V, 24V, or 48V PMSM motors drawing up to 100A. It accelerates the design of motor control systems ranging from Watt to Kilowatt, making it suitable for applications such as industrial drives, factory & lab automation systems, CNC equipment, robotics, textile manufacturing equipment, and variable-speed pumps.
“Engineers deal with several limitations during the design process, time being the most important one. The TMC6200 complements the TMC4671 hardware-based servo controller building blocks and offers programmable safety features like short detection and over-temperature thresholds, enabling robust and reliable designs using an off-the-shelf building block,” said Michael Randt, Founder and CEO of Trinamic.
The gate driver’s integrated current sensors monitor drive current using three in-line sense resistors, making it highly resistant to errors caused by PWM noise. This makes the TMC6200 suitable for delta-sigma current measurement, which is implemented in the TMC4671. This type of measurement is more effective than bottom shunt measurement, which must be blanked out around the switching events and can only be used with SAR ADCs.
Offering stand-alone operation and SPI controlled operation including diagnostics, the driver IC enables flexible applications that can quickly adapt to new use cases and requirements.
The TMC6200 is housed in a 9x9mm2 TQFP48 package and will be available through Trinamic’s distribution channels beginning in April 2019.
- Coil current sense range (external MOSFETs): up to 100A 2 or 3-phase motors
- DC voltage range: 8V to 60V; 3-phase motors up to 100A coil current (external MOSFETs)
- Programmable gate drive (0.5A / 1A / 1.5A)
- Full protection and diagnostics via SPI interface; SPI & Stand-Alone operation
- Charge Pump for 100% Duty Cycle operation
- Optional BBM break-before-make logic for single line control
- Programmable Short and Overload current threshold and retry
- Programmable Control Interface with 3 line or 6 line drive
- Compact 9x9mm2 TQFP48 package
- Double Pin Distance for safe operation at high voltage
Trinamic is headquartered in Hamburg, Germany with a research center in Tallinn, Estonia, and Sales Engineers in Chicago. For more information, visit trinamic.com/technology/motion-control.