At a meeting on Friday with President Trump at the White House, Charter Communications CEO Tom Rutledge revealed the operator is planning to invest $25 billion in broadband infrastructure and technology in the next few years.
“With confidence in the deregulatory policies of the Administration and the FCC, Charter is planning to invest $25 billion in broadband infrastructure and technology in the next four years,” Charter says in a statement released around the meeting. “In addition, we are committed to moving all of the former Time Warner Cable customer service calls from offshore to the United States, consistent with our approach at Charter, and will create new jobs to handle those calls.”
The operator had previously pledged to bring call center jobs back to the United States during the regulatory review that occurred in 2015/2016 before it bought TWC and Bright House Networks, which was finalized last year.
Charter also announced it is opening a bilingual call center in McAllen , Texas, which will include customer service representatives that speak Spanish. More on the overall call center jobs commitment is here.
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai also used a statement to praise Charter’s investment commitments, stating that the Commission under his watch since January has been “working to set rules of the road that encourage companies to build and upgrade broadband networks across the country.”
“I’m pleased to see that our investment-friendly policies, along with the Administration’s overall regulatory approach, are already producing results,” Pai says. “I applaud Charter Communications for its announcement today that it intends to spend $25 billion in broadband infrastructure and technology over the next four years. I am optimistic that this massive investment will help to close the digital divide and to strengthen our economy.”
Filed Under: Industry regulations