A new groov RIO module (MM2) has just been released that includes Ignition 8 software from Inductive Automation.
As announced previously in the OptoBlog, Ignition 8 software is now part of the newest groov EPIC controller (GRV-EPIC-PR2). But, we didn’t stop there. The latest groov RIO MM2 model (GRV-R7-MM2001-10) also includes Ignition 8 and boasts increased memory and storage along with other important features.
What does this mean for you?
In addition to the Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) capability and multi-signal I/O channels of the initial groov RIO release (GRV-R7-MM1001-10), with Ignition Edge 8 onboard, groov RIO MM2 can also function as a gateway to PLCs and other third-party devices. Sound like something you could use?
Remember, groov RIO is designed to help you in 2 ways:
- As an edge I/O unit (I/O for the IIoT), communicating data between field devices and data destinations. You can:
- Connect directly to sensors, devices, and equipment to acquire data
- Push data directly to on-premises or cloud apps, databases, or other software, typically using the included Node-RED
- Publish data to an MQTT broker
- Respond to Modbus/TCP requests for data
- Configure its built-in I/O channels through the browser-based interface, as well as configure up to 4 PID loops (firmware 3.0+)
- Manage user accounts and permissions from a central LDAP server (firmware 3.0+)
- As traditional remote I/O for your control strategy:
- With a groov EPIC processor running a PAC Control strategy; add a groov RIO as an I/O unit
- With CODESYS applications, download and install the Opto 22 CODESYS Library Package to the CODESYS Development System, then add a groov RIO as an Ethernet device
- With a custom control program through groov RIO’s OptoMMP memory map, REST API, or through secure shell (SSH) access (firmware 3.0+ and the free GROOV-LIC-SHELL license)
Use the online RIO Explorer tool to explore the over 200,000 unique field I/O signal options you can create with either model of groov RIO.
As always, our team of engineers is here to answer your questions and help you make the right decisions for your application. Give us a call, contact us through the website, or start a conversation in the live OptoChat.
Filed Under: Opto 22 Sponsored Content