Able Device, a pioneer in IoT and M2M application technology, today announced the global availability of SIMbae, a patented technology designed for mobile network operators, that helps to reduce the cost, complexity and risk of embedded wireless applications for the Internet of Things (IoT) and Machine-to-Machine (M2M) applications and services.
Developed by veteran M2M industry leaders at the newly-formed company Able Device, SIMbae enables all types of machines and devices to embed and execute connected IoT and M2M applications on a mobile operator’s SIM (Subscriber Identity Module), rather than on a discrete CPU dedicated to the application. This first-of-its kind approach reduces several of the significant challenges associated with IoT deployments, including security and service assurance, and for the first time it gives mobile network operators a leadership position in the IoT value chain.
“The lack of a standard embedded connectivity architecture creates valueless costs and complexity for developers, and this is why we developed SIMbae specifically for mobile network operators, to help them unleash the power of a standard SIM and meet the needs of successful IoT projects,” said Roger Dewey, Chief Executive Officer and Founder of Able Device. “Most mobile network operators view the SIM as a necessary, but low-value component of their customer offering, rather than a unique and valuable asset for delivering IoT and M2M applications. With SIMbae, operators increase their leadership in the IOT and M2M value chain by having the capability to provide high value services and solve enterprises’ challenges in deploying IoT and M2M apps and services.”
The mobile network operator’s SIM is a secure, resettable, processor, updatable via standard over-the-air technology, making it the ideal location to host and execute all aspects of IoT applications. This approach revolutionizes the connected device architecture of machines and devices in all vertical segments resulting in cost savings, ease of development, future-proofing, and increased application security.
SIMbae turns a mobile network operator’s standard SIM from a “slave” to the “master” in the IoT application architecture. Benefits of SIMbae:
- Enables the embedding and execution of the IoT application on a SIM
- Does not require a proprietary SIM or modifications to the SIM’s operating system
- Works on any and all SIMs, worldwide
- Addresses the needs of successful IoT projects, with no changes required in the mobile operator’s existing standard network elements
- Adheres to all SIM and global network standards
- Provides a platform for application developers to create IoT and M2M applications and services for devices ranging from meters, automobiles, tracking, point-of-sale terminals or any connected device
Filed Under: M2M (machine to machine)