As today’s technological capabilities have become more sophisticated, the working parts within machine systems have increasingly required greater performance. That need for more precise linear motion has driven PBC Linear to pinpoint substantial resources along each step of its engineering and manufacturing of lead screws, and simultaneously employ quality metrology processes. The result is an integrated lead screw system, with precision focus on three points including the screw, the nut, and the motor.
As our lead screw infographic illustrates, building a sophisticated lead screw requires a complex manufacturing process. This process of engineering a lead screw equipped with the highest level of lead accuracy and quality of finish involves multiple steps, including:
- Initial O.D. grind-down of raw material
- Creating strong and accurate thread forms utilizing a precision German CNC roll threader
- Automated straightening process
- Custom PTFE coating process
- Fixed, flat, keyways, and threaded journals can be machined for multiple lead screw uses
Our lead screws are then incorporated into larger assemblies that are equipped with innovative anti-backlash nuts and high-end lead screw motors. PBC Linear has developed its own Constant Force technology, which is used to apply uniform radial pressure to nuts at all stages of motion. Customers will be pleased with a nut that provides better overall performance than traditional designs, as well as a superior drive system. Our high-end motors have many important features and benefits, including reduced system backlash, added thrust capacity, and longer life.
At each stage of our lead screw production, we have built in more comprehensive metrology standard. They include:
- Microscopic inspections of the surface finish at each level of the manufacturing
- Acute inspections of major and minor profile diameters
- Inspections at %100 of the screw length, yielding a lead accuracy of 3X the industry standard
- The highest straightness tolerances available
- Digital inspections at the finish coating stage
- Intensive metrology standards applied to anti-backlash nuts and journaled ends
- Two separate test labs for load, life, and sound proofing