The Human Rights Campaign Foundation has released its Corporate Equality Index 2018, which rates workplaces on LGBTQ equality issues, and nine industrial component manufacturers have earned perfect 100% scores.
“It’s no surprise that many top-scoring businesses are also top-performing businesses. They know that creating inclusive workplaces and communities where their employees can thrive is an investment in their own competitive edge. That’s why LGBTQ-inclusive workplace policies are becoming the norm in the U.S., and having an impact around the globe. Today, more than 90% of CEI-rated businesses have embraced both sexual orientation and gender identity employment protections for their U.S. and global operations,” said Chad Griffin, President, Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
The 16th edition of the Index found that 609 businesses met each of the criteria and earned a 100% rating and the designation of being a “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality.” This is the highest number of 100 percent-rated businesses in the history of the CEI. The first Index in 2002 contained a mere 13 top-rated companies.
Criteria for this latest Index were as follows:
- Prohibits Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation for All Operations (15 points)
- Prohibits Discrimination Based on Gender Identity or Expression for All Operations (15 points)
- Has Contractor/Vendor Non-Discrimination Standards that Include Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (5 points)
- Offers Equivalent Spousal and Partner Medical Benefits (10 points)
- Parity Across Spousal and Partner “Soft” Benefits (10 points) (half credit for parity across some, but not all benefits)
- Offers Transgender-Inclusive Health Insurance Coverage (10 points)
- Firm-wide Organizational Competency Programs (10 points)
- Has Employer-Supported Employee Resource Group OR Firm-Wide Diversity Council (10 points)
- Would Support ERG if Employees Express Interest (half credit)
- Positively Engages the External LGBTQ Community (15 points … partial credit of 10 points given for less than 3 efforts)
- Have internal guidelines that prohibit philanthropic giving to non-religious organizations with an explicit policy of discrimination against LGBTQ people (5 points)
These industrial component manufacturers earned perfect 100% scores:
- Autodesk Inc.
- Danaher Corp.
- Eaton Corp.
- Emerson Electric Co.
- HP Inc.
- Ingersoll-Rand Co.
- Rockwell Automation
- Siemens, and
- Texas Instruments